Featured

What I’m Reaching For

 A Stoic reflection on ambition, character, and choosing aims that truly matter.

Oil painting portrait of Marcus Aurelius with his quote about ambition and human worth.

What I'm Reaching For

I reach for the small things
that change me quietly—
a fair word,
a patient breath,
a choice made without fear.

Not for applause, not for victory, but for the person I might become if I keep reaching.


There is a line that comes to me now and then, here and there, when I least expect it: a man's worth is no greater than the worth of his ambitions. It is from Marcus Aurelius, and it has followed me for years.


For a long time I thought worth was something you collected. A good year, a good result, a sign from the world that I was doing something right. This sentence quietly took that idea apart. It doesn't ask what I have achieved. It asks what I am reaching for.

My own path

I have never been very good at the expected road. My choices were controversial, and they took courage, or as I see it now, the blindness typical of youth. I let go of a dream of medicine and chose literature instead. Then I married a man I barely knew. Wise and handsome, yes, but the rest was all unknown. And he was from another part of the world, not from our neighbourhood at all. I thought it might be interesting.

My parents were stunned. His parents were stunned. But it was interesting, and thirty-two years later we are happy together.

I tell this not to boast, but because I now see what those choices had in common. I wasn't reaching for what was safe or what was approved. I was reaching for something I couldn't fully explain yet, and that, I think, is what Marcus means. The worth was in the aim, long before anyone could see the result.

The ambition no one applauds

When I think about ambition, I think of something that never made a headline. I gave a big part of my life to being a mother, the best I could. Taking care of my children was my ambition, as real as any career.

My first almost-child came to me unexpected, and I took her as my own. Many people thought I was mad. I was young, and I made sacrifices that others did not understand. I took care of a child who was not mine, but in every way that mattered, she became mine.

Last Sunday I spent the day at her home. She and her husband cooked for us, my husband, our second daughter and me, and it was wonderful. We sat around a table in a home she had built, with the love we had given her coming back to us in the form of a meal. I thought: I was right. The sacrifices were real, but I was right.

No one gave me a prize for it, but I never expected one. The best prize is seeing her, a child left by her father, grown up into a happy young woman. I thought: I was mad, but I reached for something good.

The things I used to chase

Of course, I have also chased smaller things. There were years when I wanted to be right, to win, to prove I wasn't foolish for walking my own way. Every day I handed my sense of myself over to outcomes, and outcomes don't know I exist and don't care how I feel.

On good days I felt brilliant. On bad days I felt like a fraud. My worth rose and fell with things I could not control, and I called it ambition. It was really dependence.

Marcus understood this trap. He was the most powerful man in the world, yet his private notebook is full of reminders not to be dazzled by power, praise, or fame. He wrote about Alexander and Caesar, men whose ambitions shook the earth, and noted that death took them like everyone else. What stays with me is that he never says ambition is bad. He says its value comes from what it aims at. A huge appetite for a small thing is still a small thing.

Borrowed goals

I think most of us inherit our ambitions without noticing. We pick them up from family, from culture, from whoever looks like they are winning. We want the bigger house because everyone seems to. We want the title, the recognition, the audience, because silence feels like failure.

I have caught myself doing it, even after those early choices. I have wanted things only because wanting them was expected, and when I got them I felt strangely empty. Nothing was wrong with the thing itself. It just was not mine.

The Stoics offer a simple test, and I find it both annoying and wise. Is the thing you are pursuing up to you? If your peace depends on the opinions of others, or on luck, then you have handed the keys of your life to forces that will never look after them. That is no foundation for a self.

What is worth aiming at

Marcus keeps coming back to the same answer: character. Be honest when it costs you. Be fair when you could take the advantage. Stay calm when everything around you is not. Give the task in front of you your full attention.

What I love about these ambitions is that they are available every single day, in any circumstances. No one can block them. A prisoner can be just. A poor person can be generous. Someone ignored by the whole world can still be brave in private.

This doesn't mean giving up worldly goals. Marcus ran an empire, fought wars, and faced plague and famine. Stoicism isn't about retreating from effort. It is about how you hold it. I still want to work hard, build things, and share what I have learned. But I try to remember that the real prize is who I become while doing it. The result is a bonus. The quality of my striving is the point.

If I act with patience, honesty, and discipline and still fall short, I have lost something external, but I haven't lost myself. That distinction took me years to understand, and it changed everything.

The quiet test

There is a small exercise hidden in this idea, and I try to do it at the end of the day. Instead of asking what I achieved, I ask what I was trying to achieve, and whether it was worth trying for.

Was I reaching for something that would make me better, or only something that would make me look better? Did my energy go toward things that will matter in a year, or toward things that only felt urgent? Some evenings the answer is humbling. I have spent hours on a petty irritation, or on an argument I only wanted to win, and the honest answer is that it was not worth it.

But over time the question works on you. It starts to filter your choices before you make them. I notice myself turning down the empty pursuit, the unnecessary rivalry, the need to be seen. I find myself saying yes to harder, quieter things that stretch me instead.

Raising the ceiling

What I find most encouraging about Marcus's line is that worth is not fixed. You are not stuck with the size you started with. You can raise the ceiling of your life by raising what you aim at.

Someone who has settled for comfort can decide to aim at contribution. Someone consumed by resentment can aim at understanding. Someone chasing status can aim at mastery of a craft they truly love. It doesn't begin with a new circumstance. It begins with a new target.

That is why the line feels both hard and generous to me. It is hard because it takes away my excuses. I can't blame my smallness on my situation if my aims are what define me. But it is generous because it puts the power of self-definition in my own hands, in the one territory that is truly mine: my will and my intention.

What I take from it

Marcus Aurelius understood that a life is shaped less by what happens to it than by what it reaches for. Ambition is not just a tool for getting somewhere. It is a portrait of the soul that carries it.

So the question I try to ask myself, and the one I would leave with you, is simple and a little uncomfortable: what am I reaching for? If the honest answer disappoints me, I know the remedy is in my hands. I can choose a better aim, and begin.


Source: Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7, section 3. The wording differs between translations, but the meaning is the same: a person is worth the worth of the things they busy themselves with.

—

Thank you for reading.

If this piece spoke to you, you may like my other Stoic essays — reflections on courage, calm, and the work of becoming ourselves. You can read more in the archive, and join me on YouTube.

—

For Your Reflection

⟶ How to Stop Negative Self-Talk (Stoic Method That Works)

Understanding Stoicism

⟶ Stoicism for Beginners

⟶ The Real Stoics: A Journey Through 500 Years of a Philosophy That Was Never One Thing

—

Visit My YouTube Channel



Comments