Skip to main content

Featured

How I Stopped Hating Myself

A personal story of surviving cancer and returning to Stoicism — and how this ancient philosophy helped me stop hating myself, rebuild my self‑worth, and finally come back to who I am: a normal, happy woman. You are allowed to be gentle with yourself — do the first step today. I am fifty‑six now. And for most of my life, I hated myself — quietly, constantly, almost automatically. It was a background noise I didn’t even question. I thought it was normal. Everything changed in May 2022. That month, I heard a sentence that felt like the end of my story: cancer. A major operation. A small chance to survive. No guarantees. When I woke up from the anaesthetic, the pain was enormous — some of the medicine didn’t work in my body. But my first clear thought was something I had never said to myself before: How strong I am. How incredible that I am still here. How alive I am despite everything. In that moment, something shifted. I realised life is too precious to spend it hating myself. Too fra...

God: The Greatest Stoic of All Time

Sunday, the 20th October, 2024

Autumn leaves and the stoic quote from Marcus Aurelius "Meditations": "When you arise in the morning..."

Hello everyone!

On this beautiful Sunday, I want to take a moment to share something special with you. As I reflect on my philosophical journey and the experiences that have shaped me, I feel drawn to the comforting words of Psalm 91. This passage serves as a powerful reminder of the protection, refuge, and peace we can find in faith.

Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the secret place of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”

Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings, you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday.

A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling,
no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways;
they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
“Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.
With long life, I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.

In contemplating this beautiful passage, I can't help but feel that God embodies the greatest Stoic of all. Just as Stoicism teaches us to remain calm and resolute amidst life’s trials, so too does God offer unwavering support and peace during our struggles. This divine perspective encourages us to accept the present moment, trusting that everything unfolds as it should. Embracing this belief helps me navigate my journey with as much grace and resilience as possible.

And today, I reflect on the words of Marcus Aurelius: “When you arise in the morning, think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love.” I hope you feel this joy with the dawn of each new day as well.

Wishing you a lovely Sunday filled with peace and joy! God bless you, and see you next time!



---
Image: "Autumn Leaves" by Kuzma licenced by Canva.


Comments