Skip to main content

Featured

The Courtroom of One

An emperor sat in a war tent on the Danube, a plague behind him and grief in his own house, and wrote himself a rule: mercy for others, strictness for himself. An essay on why most of us live it the other way around, and why the discipline works only when it is not cruelty. Night, a lamp, and the discipline of looking inward. Somewhere on the northern frontier of the Roman Empire, in a tent lit by a lamp that smoked, an exhausted man sat down to write something no one was meant to read. He was the emperor. Outside, his legions were fighting tribes along the Danube. Behind him, a plague that his own soldiers had carried home from the East was still moving through the provinces, and in his household most of the children he had raised were dead or would be. He wrote in Greek, not the Latin of the court, and he wrote to himself. Nobody asked him to. He seems to have needed to hear certain things said plainly, and there was no one else to say them. Among those things was a habit of mind t...

Ataraxia: The Stoic Path to Inner Peace

What I Wish I Had Known About Easing My Mind While I Was Trapped in Stress-ville

Have you ever felt overwhelmed by stress, unable to find a moment of peace? Well, you’re not alone—at least there are two of us. In our fast-paced world, finding inner calm can seem like an impossible task. But what if I told you there’s a Stoic principle that can help you achieve just that? Meet Ataraxia, a fancy word from Stoicism that means inner peace and freedom from worry. Sounds pretty good, right?


A marble sculpture of the Stoic philosopher Epictetus, shown in a thoughtful, composed expression, with his quote overlaid: “It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it.”


The Path to Ataraxia

So, how do you get there? Let’s break it down into three simple steps:


1. Accept What You Can’t Change

Imagine you’re stuck in traffic, feeling the frustration build. Getting angry won’t make the cars disappear! Instead, take a deep breath and let it go. Acceptance is the first step towards inner peace. By acknowledging that some things are beyond our control, we can focus our energy on what we can change—like enjoying a favourite podcast or practising mindful breathing.


2. Focus on What You Can Control

Your reactions and thoughts are within your control. Instead of stressing over a bad grade, think about how you can improve next time. By shifting your focus to your actions and mindset, you empower yourself to make positive changes.

3. Practice Gratitude

Appreciate the little things, like a sunny day or a kind word. Gratitude shifts your mind from worrying to enjoying. It helps you see the beauty in everyday moments and fosters a sense of contentment.

Ataraxia: Finding Calm Amidst the Chaos

Ataraxia isn’t about being emotionless. It’s about finding calm amidst the chaos. It’s about understanding that while we can’t control everything, we can control how we respond. By practising acceptance, focusing on what we can control, and cultivating gratitude, we can unlock our inner peace.


Ready to Unlock Your Inner Peace?

Are you ready to embrace Ataraxia and find your inner calm? Start by incorporating these Stoic principles into your daily life. Remember, it’s a journey, not a destination. Each step you take brings you closer to a more serene and balanced life.


My Journey

I can vividly recall the moments when I grumbled about being late for work—those pesky Monday blues. Or the times I raised my voice at my husband (please forgive me, dear!) for leaving his socks strewn across the floor.

Crying and shouting never altered my situation; I was late because of delays on the underground, and those socks remained in their place the next day, almost taunting me.

The takeaway? I need to find Ataraxia.


There was only one instance in my life when I truly embraced change: when I learned that cancer, my fiercest opponent, had returned. It was a powerful realization that called for drastic actions. I simply accepted it.


When faced with real problems, I believe individuals can quickly embody Stoicism. We have no other choice, do we? The other challenges we encounter are merely insignificant distractions and noise. As Kaptah, a character from Mika Waltari’s “The Egyptian,” would put it, “and the rest is the buzzing of flies.”


🌿 Read also: 5 Signs You’re Becoming Emotionally Unshakeable https://jollygoodplanet.blogspot.com/2026/03/5-signs-youre-becoming-emotionally.html


🌿 Watch the Short: Calm Is Power — 🔥 5 Signs You’re Becoming Emotionally Unshakeable 

A video focused on how inner calm becomes strength in real life, especially in moments that test your clarity and emotional discipline.












Comments